On average, most people spend between 8 and 12 hours each day working, perhaps with the exclusion of weekends. With advanced technology, there is not much movement from one end of the office to the next as most of the items people needed from the cabinets or shelves can be easily stored within the office software system. What does this mean? More time is spent sitting, making it necessary to use the most comfortable office furniture available.
The work environment is supposed to be friendly in a number of ways. Often, when people talk about incentives at the workplace, very few of them ever think about office furniture playing an integral role in boosting productivity. Studies show that people who are happy at the work place are very productive. And one factor that contributes to workers’ satisfaction is the kind of office furniture used.
A quick look at most offices around the world will reveal something to a keen observer. There is a general change in the kind of office furniture used in a number of offices. One may wonder why employers are keen to provide a complete makeover where furniture at the office is concerned. These are proven facts that managers ought to take seriously…
Facts about Office Furniture
- Old and outdated furniture can make workers less productive – Good furniture tends to bring the work mood closer home. On the other hand, boring furniture makes workers clumsy, leading to a feeling of laziness. It gets worse for an individual who has been to other offices where there is great furniture.
- Great Colors create a working mood – Very dull colors tend to dull people’s spirits while vibrant ones make individuals active and ready to work. Of course this may not apply to everyone but with the choice of bright colors in most offices, it seems there is some kind of enthusiasm wrought about by vibrant colors.
- Great furniture is easy to clean and gives the impression of tidiness – With the latest designs of office furniture, cleaning or tidying the workplace has never been made easier. Old furniture tends to look outdated in an environment with new devices like computers and other latest gadgets. In fact, the kinds of tables used previously were designed for typewriters while current day tables are meant for computers and laptops. This makes an overhaul of furniture a necessity if it has not been done in the recent past.
- Standing desks are a great way of keeping workers healthy – Sitting for long hours without sufficient breaks in between is a recipe for trouble with illnesses like diabetes, obesity and even cardiovascular diseases. A manager should purchase standing desks for workers to stay healthy during their time at the workplace.
- Proper lighting during the day is important – Shop for furniture that does not obscure windows or other sources of light at the office. Studies indicate that proper lighting helps workers enjoy better sleep at night. Remember, a productive worker needs sufficient sleep too.
The office is supposed to be friendly in all sorts of ways. Clients love to pop into a workplace with vibrant workers and great furniture. A manager should therefore ensure that the workplace is friendly by purchasing suitable furniture for the office.